Notice of New Site Address

If you will, visit my new site that continues with the same type of information and listings as on this site.
(Click here)
http://thetalker.org/archives/97/94-razors-edge-index/

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

# 95 DNA Database Open To Genealogists and The Public

DNA database open to the public. Amateur genealogists can use it to trace their ancestry for free. A major DNA database is opening its doors to amateur genealogists. People who want to use DNA to trace their maternal ancestors will be able to turn to the Sorenson Molecular Genealogy Foundation of Salt Lake City, with its database of more than 5000 samples of mitochondrial DNA. Unlike Y-chromosome DNA, which is inherited by sons from their fathers, mitochondrial DNA is passed from mothers to both male and female children. So mitochondrial DNA is especially valuable to women, who have no other direct method to search their family histories through their genes.
The foundation is the creation of Utah philanthropist James Levoy Sorenson.
One day in the future, I'd like to run a check on my ancestors. I would like to know more of the family, from my mother's side. My father's side is pretty well documented, but I may even check his out also.
The website is:
smgf.org

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi - just wanted you to know you're amazing. You're so full of surprises.

#2